Maniwaya Island, Marinduque

Posted on February 26, 2015 at 04:52 Big Foot

For a change, I spent Valentine’s Day on the beach with two of my roommates during my first year in college. On the eve of the Dinagyang Festival last month, we were out drinking celebrating it our way; that’s where they mentioned their plan of visiting Marinduque. As I can’t just let this life pass by with my seemingly growing love for the bitch beach, I didn’t bother putting up a fight.

Maniwaya Island

We took the 11PM JAC Liner trip on a Friday from Buendia heading straight to Dalahican port. If it isn’t available, you can just take one heading to Lucena and from there you can get a ride to the port. Travel time was three hours.

Dalahican Port

Currently there seems to be only two shipping lines from Lucena to Marinduque: Starhorse and Montenegro. I had no idea of the schedule at all, but thankfully the latter has a 4AM trip. Next one to it is in the morning already! Much time would’ve been wasted.

Ferry ride to Marinduque

I must say I missed traveling by sea. I used to do it a lot in college with SuperFerry and Negros Navigation, when traveling by air wasn’t favored for me. Anyway, a jacket would greatly help as it can be freezing by daybreak. And yes, those benches will be your beds.

Rico's Inn

Travel time to Balanacan port in Marinduque was another three hours. Public transportation is readily available upon arrival. We took a jeepney for an hour ride to Sta. Cruz, which, surprisingly for me, is a first class municipality. We had breakfast at Rico’s Inn where the tricycle driver who spotted us the moment we got off the jeepney didn’t stop bugging us. I had tapsilog and lomi. Perfecto.

We gave in to the nuisance of the driver and allowed him to take us to the grocery and wet market. When everything was already in place, we headed to Buyabod port, which is roughly 15 minutes away. He asked us P200 for all those rides. Fuckin’ son of a bitch. If there’s one thing that I always do when traveling, I always ask the fee of a ride before taking it. I was simply caught off guard this time. :devil:

Boat ride to Maniwaya

The weather was totally gloomy and rainy yet the water was calm. In 30 minutes we were already on the island, looking forward to what lies ahead.

Maniwaya port

Apparently the port in Maniwaya was damaged by a typhoon a few years ago. From there, motorcycles can take you to the resort you’ll be staying in.

Wawie's Beach

Upon arrival, we were immediately welcomed by Mr. Warlito Constantino, the resort owner. Unlike my companions, I was glad there was another group in the resort. They had the room next to ours and also had three tents set up.

Maniwaya Paradise

And here’s the first taste of the beach. The sand is actually pretty fine, but the amount of stones sort of conceal its quality.

View from our cottage's balcony

I find the place similar to Anawangin in Zambales, with coconuts around instead of trees. You can see the tents I was talking about earlier. Pitching one costs P300. There are seven huts, which can be rented for P500. There also happens to be a karaoke machine for P1,000.

Kitchen

The kitchen can be used for P35. There’s stove, cookware, cooking and eating utensils, and water, so if some in your group will be cooking all you have to bring are the ingredients and condiments and probably some drinking water if you want it that way.

Cottages

Accommodation

The cottages, I think, are all of the same size, and can even probably accommodate up to five people given the size of the foam on the floor. Of course that would also mean that everyone should at least be a little slim. :suspicious:

Aplenty

The “sand” up close.

Bluer than Blue

The rain ditched us like an almost-lover in the afternoon but there was still no sun. The scenery was positively blue.

Sneak Peek

Shabu pa Alak pa!

A glimpse of the sun and all the hues of blue led me to doing one of my allegedly signature poses. :laugh: As envious as he was, my friend in a bottle also posed. Ugh.

Stone Skipping Tournament

The following day the sun outshone its shyness, and we had a game of stone skipping. What can I say? I sucked at it. Should be a good start, though, as I don’t remember any instance of me ever doing it.

Hello, summer!

We explored the left side of the shore and found a good spot for taking photos. Timer, set, go! We must’ve looked stupid from afar.

King of the World

This part of the beach also happens to have less seagrasses.

Leaving Maniwaya

Leaving the island was my primary concern as the only trip going back to Sta. Cruz is at 7AM. However, as you can see from the pictures, we didn’t leave that early. Apparently you have two more options of going back to Manila. The island is a stopover of boats from Marinduque heading to General Luna in Quezon and vice versa. The former stops by at 10AM while the latter is at noontime. We were told there were no passengers heading to General Luna so we got on the second one.

Boac Reminiscent of Vigan

From Sta. Cruz we took an hour-long jeepney ride to Boac, the province’s capital. It was so reminiscent of Vigan with its old structures. We didn’t bother rushing ourselves as there are ferry trips in the evening. We just had lunch, relaxed, and killed time in Kusina sa Plaza. I think the food was a bit pricy. :suspicious:

Kusina sa Plaza Café

Mixed Berries Kusina's Special

Their café was a different story, though. The food was heavenly; the Mixed Berries and Kusina’s Special were, for lack of a better word, uhm! :lol:

Ferry ride to Lucena

Around 4PM we found ourselves in a port-bound jeepney. Much to my delight, it departed even if there were only three of us. After an hour we were back at the port and as we were way too early we ate lomi at a nearby carinderia. The vessel that we boarded this time had an air-conditioned area, and we managed to secure a row for ourselves. Aside from the movie Wild Card, there was this annoying guy who was ranting on how Filipinos are so disrespectful, slouching and not sharing seats. Really, he was such a pain in the head and was probably just pissed there were four of them in their row. He’s also Filipino, by the way, which makes him disrespectful as well. Yes, just like me. :devil:

Like in Balanacan, transportation heading directly to Metro Manila is readily available in Dalahican. Yes. :cheerful:

Starhorse Schedule Montenegro Schedule

If your love for the beach (and summer) is like mine and intend to visit the island or resort, here are a few things which might be helpful:

Finally, let’s talk about money, money, and money. The list below is exclusive of food, and you and I both know why.

Updated on April 23, 2017: I have disabled commenting for this post as I have replicated it in Itinerant. For further enquiries, you may comment there instead.

23 Comments

1. gravatar.com Gene
    March 19, 2015 at 13:14

Sir yung sinakyan nyong boat going to maniwaya eh public?
    tapos yung pabalik niyo ng Buyabod eh public din na galing gen luna? We’re planning to go there kasi this coming holy week. baka may contact kayo dun sa port?

• gravatar.com Nelson
      March 19, 2015 at 13:25

Hi Gene!

Yes, public for both trips, so unfortunately, wala akong contact sa port. If you want private rides, the resort you’re going to could probably arrange them for you, although may possibility pa rin na mas makamura kung may direct contact na kayo sa bangka.

Hope this helps and I hope you have fun there!

• gravatar.com Gene
      March 19, 2015 at 13:33

okay po. Medyo pricey kasi ung inoffer ng wawies resort sakin kasi malaking bangka kaya hanap ako ng plan b hehe. So yung public boat going to maniwaya eh around 10-11am naalis ng buyabod? and yung maniwaya to buyabod naman eh 7am, righ?

• gravatar.com Nelson
      March 19, 2015 at 13:39

Yep, ganun nga. :smile:

2. gravatar.com Euri
    April 13, 2015 at 16:08

Aga ang summer vacay ah! :D

3. gravatar.com ronald
    April 24, 2015 at 22:37

Thanks for mentioning our place sir.. Ronald here, Gm of Marikit-NaBeach and sadly u didn’t visit another side of the island which our place is located

• gravatar.com Nelson
      May 30, 2015 at 10:40

Hi Ronald!

If I’m visiting Maniwaya again and with a bigger lot, we’ll definitely consider your place. It’s huge, and the interior looks great!

• gravatar.com louie
      June 2, 2015 at 21:15

sir how much po yung cheapest room nyo na aircon na good for if mag’overnight po kame???

4. gravatar.com louie
    June 2, 2015 at 21:13

hi, good evening, kapag po ba overnigh magkano kaya yung pinaka mura nila na room pero komportable naman tulugan na good for two po??? thanks!

• gravatar.com Nelson
      June 2, 2015 at 21:25

Hi Louie!

Best thing to do would be to text the resort owner (09213695359 / 09464743700) and ask for the price. Di ko rin kasi natanong kung ‘yung room worth 1,200 ba na kinuha namin ang pinakamura na. I don’t think may air-conditioned rooms na sila, kasi limited lang and power supply sa isla. Tumawad ka na rin bilang dalawa nga lang naman kayo. ;)

Hope this helps!

5. gravatar.com Emir
    August 4, 2015 at 16:50

Yung public bangka tranportation meron talaga schedule daily @ P70 one way tama.. nag pa reserve ba kayo?

• gravatar.com Nelson
      August 4, 2015 at 17:22

Hi Emir,

Nope, di na kami nagpa-reserve.

6. gravatar.com Emir
    August 13, 2015 at 11:57

ah ok…. saktong 10am ang alis ng bangka tama? mula Maniwaya port puwede bang lakarin papunta ng Wawies? o magmomotor talaga?

• gravatar.com Nelson
      August 13, 2015 at 21:21

Nung kami mga 11 na nakaalis, but to be sure I suggest you guys be there on time. Pwede lang lakarin from Maniwaya port to Wawie’s, actually. Nung pauwi naglakad nalang kami.

7. gravatar.com KISHA PILAR
    February 18, 2016 at 16:34

good day sir, can I ask you something? balak din kasi namin ng mga friends ko pumunta ng maniwaya marinduque, pero in a cheaper way then I found your blog, kaso walang nakalagay kung magkano ang fee kung my sarili kaming tent na dala, alam nyo po ba kung mgkno? at pra saan po pala yung accomodation fee? nkita ko kasi hiwalay pa sa entrance fee. Thank you in advance.

• gravatar.com Nelson
      February 18, 2016 at 17:08

Hi Kisha!

Accommodation fee is for the cottage na tinulugan namin. Bale 1,200 siya kasi tatlo kami. As for the rate in pitching your own tent, di ko na naitanong eh. The best way would be to contact Sir Warlito via 09213695359 / 09464743700 (hopefully same pa rin ‘yung numbers na ginagamit niya). :smile:

8. gravatar.com Warren
    May 2, 2016 at 11:09

From cubao to maniwaya, ilan po ang estimated cost of fare?

• gravatar.com Nelson
      May 3, 2016 at 10:26

Hi Warren,

That’s 726.50, if you sum the first six in the itemized expenses at the end of the post.

9. gravatar.com Nes
    May 4, 2016 at 15:41

Good day sir,
    Balak po naming ng husband ko na magpunta sa Maniwaya with our 3yo daughter via commute. Hindi po ba matagtag ang Lucena-Balanacan-Buyabod-Maniwaya route? We plan to stay at Residencia de Palo Maria. Habal habal din po kaya ang papunta dun? Thank you!

• gravatar.com Nelson
      May 5, 2016 at 09:18

Hi Nes,

Kung may matagtag man ay siguro ‘yung ride lang from Maniwaya port to the resort kung san kayo, which in this case is Residencia de Palo Maria. Di ko siya nakita nung nandun kami so it would be safe to assume na kelangan niyo ngang maghabal-habal papunta dun.

10. gravatar.com Rico
    June 10, 2016 at 18:57

Your boat fee to maniwaya is only 70 pesos im planning to go there with my father next week andito kasi kame nagbabakasyon now sa sta. Cruz and i heard boat is 1500 – 3000 how do uget theboat fee of 70 please help naman po tnx ^^

P.S nice blog btw ^^

• gravatar.com Nelson
      June 10, 2016 at 19:16

Hi Rico,

It’s only 70 pesos if you’re taking the public boat. I don’t know how many trips there are in a day now but we took one in the morning. I’m guessing special/private trip ‘yang 1500-3000 na rate.

Thanks and I hope this helps!

11. Maniwaya Island, Marinduque – Itinerant